It’s hot. You might have noticed. Unusual weather often provokes a range of advice on how to manage people, just in case common sense fails along with the air-conditioning.
- Tear up your dress code if you have one. Replace it with a notice that says ‘no swimwear’ and be done with it.
- Give all your staff free ice-cream. Fancy employee engagement strategies can work well, but in my experience food always works better.
- Be flexible. Commuting is mostly horrible in the heat, especially for those who use public transport BO boxes. Strongly consider allowing people to work from home or commute outside the sweat hour.
- Have outdoor meetings (sunscreen is advisable). No one says you have to sit indoors in a hot, airless office in order to get stuff done. Better still, have your meeting in a pub beer garden (should there be no health and safety implications of course).
- Enjoy it. It will probably be raining this time next week.